Phase 2 ReGathering - Sunday Morning COVID-19 Safety plan
We will be holding two smaller services with a maximum of 40 attendees at each service. Our service times will be 9:00am & 11:00am, respectively. Each service will last approximately 45 minutes and both services will be identical. You will need to register online for a service time you plan to attend for the upcoming Sunday. This will allow us to ensure we do not exceed maximum attendance at any one service.
Covid-19 Transmission The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads in several ways. It mainly spreads in droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. It can also spread if you touch a contaminated surface and then touch your face. The risk of person-to-person transmission increases the closer you come to other people, the more time you spend near them, and the more people you come near.
In light of these transmission risks, the following re-gathering guidelines and protocols have been established for this phase of re-gathering:
- Stay home if you or someone in your household is sick with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Please register online if you plan to attend one of the Sunday service times. You can register online by clicking the button below.
- While in attendance, please respectfully adhere to the current emphasis on physical distancing. No handshakes or hugs.
- There will be no Sunday School or Nursery offered during this phase of re-gathering. Children must be able to stay with parents before, during and after the service.
Before You Come to Church
- If you're not comfortable gathering at this time—for any reason— we respect and honour that decision. We believe that choosing to stay home to protect yourself or a loved one is a sign of love, not a sign of fear or faithlessness. Many within our church will decide to be care-full and err on the side of prudence, and our leadership wants to affirm those who choose to express love-of-neighbour in this way.
- You must not attend if you or a member of your household are sick. A person with COVID-19 is infectious 48 hours prior to onset of symptoms to 10 days after onset of symptoms. Symptoms include fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headache. If you or a household member have any symptoms stay home for two weeks before coming to a service.
- Infants and children are welcome provided they are able to stay with their parents before, during and after the service.
- Consider attending with a cohort group, whereby two cohort families/individuals sit together with sufficient spacing between them and other cohort family/individual groups.
When You Arrive at Church
- You are welcome to wear a mask, but none will be provided on site.
- All three entryways will be open when you arrive (one off Stanley St. and two off of Silica), and will remain open for the duration of the service to promote airflow. Please be mindful of physical distancing when entering the building, and please proceed directly to the sanctuary and take your seat.
- The basement and upper level of the church will be sectioned off and inaccessible.
- Before each service, our cleaning team will do a preparatory cleaning, disinfecting common touch points such as door handles, stair rails, bathroom sink handles, chairs, etc.
- Avoid handshakes, hugs and sharing items outside of family groupings. We encourage lots of waves and smiles!
- Our sanctuary has been arranged so that physical distancing can be maintained. There are chairs arranged in rowed clusters of 1, 2, or 3. If your family/cohort need more chairs, you can collapse the row side-to-side (but not front-to-back) and still maintain physical distancing. New/more chairs cannot be added to the sanctuary space.
- Please respect people’s differing levels of concern. Err on the side of caution so as not to add undue stress to someone who may already feel apprehensive about coming.
- Please sanitize hands as you arrive. An automatic hand sanitizer station will be at each entrance and in the main foyer space. If you are unable to use hand sanitizer, please proceed to the washroom and wash your hands with soap and water for minimum of 20 seconds.
- Maintain 6ft of distance between you and others who are not part of your immediate family or cohort group whenever possible.
- Try not to crowd the foyer space after the service. We encourage you to connect outside after the service for a chat in the sunshine!
- We will be requesting people leave the facility entirely approximately 15 minutes after the conclusion of the 9am service so that our cleaning team is able to complete a preparatory cleaning in advance of the 11am service (i.e. disinfecting common touch points such as door handles, stair rails, bathroom sink handles, chairs, etc.).
- Please sit with your household or cohort group and keep at least 6ft between other families/cohort groups.
- Offering: there will be no offering plate passed during the service. You encourage you to give online (www.nelsoncovenant.com/giving), and we will also have a small box near the sound booth that is available to place your offering into before you enter the sanctuary or as you leave.
- Children must sit with their family throughout the service (approximately 45 minutes long). We will not be having Sunday school or providing nursery care at this time.
- If you attend the first service, please exit the building within 15 minutes to allow for cleaning and transition to the next service. You may use any of the entryways to exit our building, but please be mindful to keep physical distancing between yourself and others who are seeking to exit the building. You are encouraged to hang around outside and socially distance chat.
- We won’t be serving coffee or any food items at this time.
- Ideally, connecting with each other should preferably be done outside while respecting social distancing.
- Remember we have a community that watches our actions. We should be mindful to guard our witness and not appear flippant towards the threat of COVID-19 to either ourselves or the broader community.